9 February 2016
Gunung Arong is recently listed as the TOP 10 must hike hill in Peninsular Malaysia on Says.com. As our hobby is hiking, we do a lot of research before we hike. Why do we choose Gunung Arong to hike?
- Gunung Arong is just 40 minutes away from Mersing town. it is only 1.5 hours to 2 hours from Johor Bahru.
- On good weather, we can see the beautiful sea view from the mountain view point.
- The hiking trail is relatively easy to hike
- It is very windy during our hike.
- Good seafood meal around Mersing town after the hike (the most important reason)
PS: please remember to get hiking permit. We have been warned by local villagers. T.T
After driving 1.5hr from Johor Bahru to Tanjung Resang, we still not able to find the village road leading to the Gunung Arong. Around 10:00am, we stopped by Tanjung Resang Resort for the road map.
Road Map to Gunung Arong Base Camp
1) Set Tanjung Resang on WAZE app or Google Map on your smart phone. You will reach to a “t” junction.
The Hiking Journey with Detail
How to Apply Hiking Permit in Johor
1) Visit Johor Forestry Website.
2) Contact East Johor District Forest Office at +607-7981 030 / +607-799 3363. Please try to get someone to speak Malay language to contact the forest officer. The office’s operating hour is Tuesday to Thursday, 8am to 4pm for smooth procedure
PS: Monday is the forest maintenance day. Friday is Muslim prayer day. I tried to contact them on weekend (Saturday and Sunday) but never success.
3) Submit or fax at +607-7995 352 the hikers’ detail to the East Johor District Forest Office (Pejabat Hutan Johor Timur)
- IC Number( for Malaysian) / Passport number (for non-Malaysian)
- Contact number
- Name of the next of kin
- Contact number of the next of kin
4) Hiking permit fee is RM10.00 (include GST) per person (as per February 2016 charges). The officer will give you the payment detail.
5) If you want to save the forest permit application, please contact Mr. Zaharudin. His part-time job is mountain guide around Endau Forest.
Mountain Guide: Encik Zaharudin
Tel: +6019-789-8298 / +6019-723-9504
Follow me at Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Linkedin
Ler Travel Diary is using Serfer Freak Web Hosting and Slack Social.
To be a smart saver, check out ShopBack for more information.